6 Dog-focused destinations
Vacations are supposed to be all about relaxing and breaking from routine. But if you have a furry friend who is all about routine, it can be difficult to fully detach yourself from the day to day concerns, especially if you’re spending time apart from them. Fortunately, there are plenty of destinations that both you and your dog can enjoy together. Below are seven different vacation spots that will help you worry less, de-stress, and maximize your quality time with your pet.
1) Woofstock, Toronto. This hilariously named festival is an outdoor party celebrating – what else? – dogs. There are two per year, one in early summer and the other in winter. The summer event features beautiful weather, dog speed dating, homecoming-style contests, and of course, pug races. Come around for the winter version for holiday fun in the snow. It’s the ideal pilgrimage to make if your dog is more of a social butterfly. Besides the obvious draw for dogs, Toronto is an excellent city for humans as well, with plenty of arts, culture, sports and entertainment that isn’t on four legs.
2) Lake Tahoe, California. The hiking trails are legendary, and not to mention dog-friendly, at Lake Tahoe, and so is the lake itself. Come during the summer to see the trails in all their beauty, then take a refreshing dip in the lake. Hotels and restaurants in the area tend to be very pet friendly, so your dog will be treated as a welcome guest rather than a nuisance.
3) Stowe, Vermont. Stowe is home to the Topnotch Resort, which is a luxury property that allows human visitors to bring their dogs (not cats) along for the trip for free. Conveniently located in the Green Mountains, this is a great place to blend luxury with adventure. A concierge will be more than happy to suggest a hiking trail that suits both you and your pup’s skill and endurance level. Hit the spa for some well-deserved reiki and relaxation afterward.
4) Miami, Florida. Ever want to get away to your own private island? Miami can give you that feeling. Just off the coast of Miami Beach is the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa, where you and your dog can treat yourselves to seclusion and luxury. With ample green spaces, trails, and doggy room service, there’s plenty of ways for you both to relax.
5) New York City. The greatest city in the world is also the location of the Muse Hotel, where pets of all kinds are welcome to stay for free with their human companions. They can be treated to grooming, massages, and even acupuncture. There’s no shortage of fun things to do in NYC, but if you happen to be there in October, the Tompkins Square Halloween Dog Parade is one event you and your pet will definitely want to check out!
6) Orcas Island, Washington. Hiking, swimming, and a great game of fetch are all on the cards here. And if you’re staying at the West Beach Resort, there’s even more. Treat yourself to a dog-friendly beachside cabin or cottage, as well as rentals for water sports. This is the ideal vacation for an adventurous duo.
Top 18 Pet-Friendly Resorts in the U.S. [Trips to Discover]
Coolest Vacations for Dog Lovers [Travel + Leisure]
6 Pet Super-Friendly Hotels and Resorts [Travel AARP]