6 Small Gift Ideas for Friends or Co-Workers
We’ve all been there: it’s the week before Christmas, and you’re scrambling to find gifts for everyone…and not just your significant other. You also have a Secret Santa coming up at work, and you have no idea what to get your cubemate. There’s most likely a limit on what you can spend, so how can you find something they’ll actually use, not just another ready-to-regift present from a coworker? Simple: try buying one of the following gifts. They’re small and cheap, but thoughtful and useful, making them perfect for a coworker or acquaintance.
- Netflix gift cards. We may all be distinct individuals, but every human being has at least one thing in common: a love of binge-watching TV. Netflix is a gift everyone can get behind. So you really can’t go wrong with a Netflix gift card, which you can pick up anywhere from 7-Eleven to CVS and load with enough cash for a month or two of streaming.
- Tea (and infuser). Tea is having a real moment right now, so there’s no better time to convert a coffee-drinker to something slightly classier. Buy some fancy loose-leaf tea and a diffuser for that coworker who loves to sip on something warm in the morning.
- Back-up iPhone charger. Another struggle that most modern Americans share (in addition to not being able to tear themselves away from five seasons’ worth of “Breaking Bad” episodes) is constantly draining the power from their phone. If there’s not an outlet nearby, that person is sentenced to iPhone-less-ness for the foreseeable future. Do away with this problem entirely by providing your coworker with a portable iPhone charger.
- Cookies or truffles. If you don’t know if your next do
or cubicle neighbor would appreciate tea or a subscription to Netflix, then you can’t go wrong with a classic like cookies or candy. ‘Tis the season for holiday-themed boxes of Mrs. Field’s cookies and gourmet truffles stashed in colorful candy boxes. Bonus points if you pick up some sweets from a local gourmet bakery or chocolatier.
- Join a fundraising team. Fundraisers are a big source of income for most nonprofit organizations. Although they take a lot of planning, the events themselves usually only last for a couple of hours. So consider teaming up with a local nonprofit to volunteer at their next big fundraising event.
- Whimsical desk ornaments. Know anyone who would appreciate a teensy T-rex to hold her pencils or a sticky note dispenser that doles out reminders like a paint roller? Then Amazon should be your first stop for shopping. It’s chock full of random nonsense that will make your coworker’s desk a bit more fun to sit at all day, so shop around for something that suits his or her personality. (Spoiler: There’s a lot to pick from for cat lovers.)
- Weekly planner. For the coworker or friend who prefers function over whimsy, you can’t go wrong with a weekly planner for the following year. Whether you shop around online or just pick one up at Target, you’ll have a wide range of price points and designs to pick from, which means you’ll be able to find something for any personality. Keep it more professional if you’re gifting the planner to a coworker, but feel free to go towards trendy for a friend. (Spoiler: There’s a lot to pick from for cat lovers.)
52 Secret Santa Gift Ideas Your Office Friends Will Love No Matter How Much You’re Willing to Spend [Bustle]
11 Gifts for Coworkers That Are Cheap and Neutral [Jobacle.com]
23 Inexpensive Secret Santa Gift Ideas for Co-Workers [Business News Daily]