10 essentials for your next pool party
With summer just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about outdoor parties. More specifically, it is time to begin planning your next pool party. Few other summer activities combine fun and relaxation, and you don’t need the temperature to be anything other than hot in order to have a good time. But every party has its essentials, and a pool party is no different. To make yours a memorable experience for everyone involved, make sure you have the following things on hand.
- Sunscreen. Fun in the sun requires a little protection, and you can’t guarantee your guests will bring their own. Be sure to stock up on this before the party so everyone can apply it regularly as the day goes on.
- Floats. What better way to hang out than on a float? With so many different styles to choose from, you’re bound to find the right ones to fit your style. Make sure you have a few inflated and available right as the party kicks off so everyone gets the chance to enjoy them.
- Pop-tails. Pool party weather has to be hot, and that means having the right refreshments on hand to keep everyone feeling cool. Cocktails and mocktails paired with a popsicle (served right in the glass, frozen side down) are the perfect drinks to match the fun you’ll be having.
- Water games. Floating pong, pool basketball, and even waterproof billiards are all good choices for safe poolside fun. Turn it into a little friendly competition, or let your guests make up the rules!
- Food bar. Instead of having everyone sit down for dinner, keep the fun going with a buffet-style taco or hot dog and hamburger bar. Leave the toppings out for everyone to use as they please, and keep things warm with a few slow cookers or hot plates. This way, your guests can eat as much as they want, whenever they want.
- Waterproof speakers. A party just isn’t the same without great tunes. There are several audio brands that offer fantastic-sounding waterproof speakers, which will keep the party going without ruining your other audio equipment.
- Glass-free drinkware. Depending on where you’re having your pool party, glassware might not be allowed. Regardless, no one wants to have an accident and have to pick up hard-to-find shards where bare feet will be walking. So pass on glass altogether with fun metal cups, which will help keep drinks cold, or silicone wine “glasses,” which can squish and bend without breaking.
- Lanterns. When the sun goes down, it’s time to bring your own light. Some companies make glowing, floating pool “balloons,” while others offer long-lasting, waterproof camping lights. Whatever you choose, make it a priority to not let things get too dark during your party, as you don’t want anyone to slip or have an accident.
- Summer-ready decorations. No party is complete without the right decor, so play up the summertime vibes with plenty of bright, beachy accessories. Whether it’s flamingo-shaped string lights or beach ball-colored stirrers, don’t be afraid to get too cute or kitschy. The more fun your party looks, the more fun it will actually be.
- Waterproof phone case. Of course, you’re going to want to take plenty of photos to commemorate your awesome party. But in doing so, don’t risk your phone. There are a number of fantastic waterproof cases available that will not only protect your phone from the occasional splash, but even allow you to take photos underwater!
Pool Party: 20 Poolside Essentials for the Summer Season [Hi Consumption]