10 Top vacation spots, and the cheapest time to go
Planning a vacation is something of a test of your budgeting skills, both in terms of time and money. It helps to know that prices for destinations rise and fall in accordance with their own particular tourism season. Below are 10 vacation spots paired with the best time of year to go so you can take advantage of major savings.
- Los Angeles in January. If the film La La Land has you pining for this west coast city, book your trip for the beginning of the year. Getting a room in LA won’t break the bank in January – in fact, hotel rates drop by more than 30 percent. It’s also awards season during this time, so there’s always the chance that you’ll get the chance to bump into a Stone or Gosling.
- Honolulu in February. The priciest time to visit Hawaii is over New Years, but after that, hotel rates dip steadily. You can snag a hotel in Honolulu about 40 percent off during the first week of February.
- Copenhagen in April. Hit up this city in Denmark just before the tourism season starts. You’ll save nearly 40 percent on hotel accommodations, savor some reasonable weather, and completely avoid the dark days that are so typical of Scandinavian winters.
- San Juan at the end of April. Need to get away to the sandy beaches of Puerto Rico? April marks the beginning of the island’s low season, which means there are plenty of incredible deals to be had.
- London in May. You might want to avoid May Day which is a major holiday in England celebrated on May 1, but most other times during the month you’ll get some good deals. That extra cash can go towards tickets to an English Premier League soccer match; with multiple teams based in London, you’ll have no shortage of options for catching some footy.
- New York City in the summer. While this destination might be a bit more expensive than others on the list, you can still save money by going in the summer. NYC never has a lack of free and cheap fun things to do, like Shakespeare in the Park, so do your research, skip the taxis, and enjoy what many consider to be the greatest city in the world.
- Berlin in August. Berlin is a hip, trend-setting city, and it offers decent hotel deals no matter the time of year. But the rates drop to their lowest in August, making it an appealing time to visit.
- Orlando in September. When school is back in session, prices at Disney cost about 40 percent less than in summer. Not only that, the lines at the parks will be much shorter, saving your sanity.
- New Orleans in the fall. Tourists flock to this gorgeous city around Mardi Gras, which is usually in late February. Beat the crowds by going during an off time, in the fall. Late October is the sweet spot: hotel prices are at their lowest (more than 30 percent less than the week of Mardi Gras) but the weather is still enjoyable, and you’ll get the chance to revel in some Halloween fun.
- Las Vegas in December. The holiday season is the most affordable time to visit Sin City, when you can take advantage of the lowest hotel rates of the year – up to 60 percent off. Go during the third week of December to get the best deals.
The Cheapest Places to Travel for Each Month of the Year [Travel + Leisure]