10 ways to stay in shape while traveling
When you go on vacation, you probably deviate from your normal routine—including your workout routine. Instead of waking up early to go for a run and then eating those overnight oats you stuck in the fridge the night before, you roll out of bed around 11 and head out for a boozy brunch. While there’s nothing wrong with indulging a bit on vacation, you don’t want to to totally undo all of your hard work at the gym in a matter of days. Here are 10 ways to keep fit while traveling, whether you’re on vacation or another business trip.
- YouTube a new workout. When you don’t have a gym, the internet is your best friend. Conduct a quick Google search for “workouts that you can do in a hotel room” or look up quick, effective yoga sequences that don’t require much space.
- Pack resistance bands or a jump rope. Some workout equipment can be folded up and packed right in your carry on luggage, like resistance bands or a jump rope. Even light hand weights might work. Try to fit one or two small workout tools that you’ll actually use.
- Jog around town. All you need are your running shoes and a thirst for exploring to get out for a jog in your home away from home. This is also a great way to explore the city.
- Make working out part of your itinerary. Plan a bike tour around town or a walk to the top of a lighthouse nearby, and your vacation itinerary will naturally incorporate a workout. No weights needed.
- Go rock climbing. Something you can do almost everywhere with warm weather? Go rock climbing. If you’ve been hitting your local rock-climbing gym hard, plan a trip where you’ll be able to take your new skills outside.
- Do burpees by your bed. You can partake in high-intensity interval training even in relatively small spaces, so look up a few workout sequences before you depart and try them in your hotel room. Burpees, star jumps, and push-ups are likely in your future.
- Walk, walk, and walk some more. Depending on where you’re traveling, you might be able to walk to dinner or a nearby theater. Walking is the best way to explore a new city and to stay in shape, so see if you can add some more walking to your vacay schedule.
- Rein in the vacation eating. Just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean you have to go totally off the rails when it comes to your diet. Sure, you can have that extra cocktail or dessert at dinner, but don’t overdo it all day long.
- Hit the beach. If you’re in an area where swimming in the ocean is an option, take your workout to the sea. Afterwards, you can treat yourself to a sunbathing and reading session on the sand.
- Run up stairs. A simple hack for staying fit while traveling: run up every set of stairs you see. You won’t even have to allot a specific amount of your day to working out if you use this trick.
10 Ways to Stay in Shape While Traveling [The Blonde Abroad]
The 7 Things I Do to Stay Fit While Traveling [Zen Habits]
10 Ways to Stay in Shape While Traveling [Huffington Post]